With their unique appearance, waist beads are popular accessories for many different events. Since they’re quite uncommon, many people don’t know how to make them from scratch. Fortunately, it’s not as difficult as it might seem! To make a simple DIY waist bead kit, you will need some basic materials and tools. Once you have everything on hand, it won’t take long to complete your set of new beads. Read on to learn more about how to make waist beads as well as several additional tips if you plan on making them again in the future…
What You’ll Need To Make Waist Beads
The first step to making waist beads is to gather the proper materials. This will ensure the beads will turn out exactly as you’d like. Here are the supplies you’ll need:
- String or thread – Since waist beads are worn around the waist, a sturdy string or thread will work best. You may want to choose a colored thread if you plan on making beaded bracelets as well.
- Beads – Beads can be used in many different ways to create many different accessories. For waist beads, you’ll likely want to use smaller beads or seed beads.
- Scissors or a cutting tool – You’ll use this to cut the thread and beads.
- A needle – You’ll use this to string the beads onto the thread.
- A measuring tape – You’ll use this to measure your waist to figure out how long to make the thread.
- Scrap paper or a ruler – You’ll use this for measuring and marking the string.
- A pencil or pen – You’ll use this for marking the string.
- A lanyard hook – You’ll place this at the end of the thread to attach it to your waistband.
How to make a waist bead
Start by cutting the thread and placing it on a surface with the beads placed tightly side by side. Make sure the thread is straight and cut it to the correct length. Place the beads on the thread in the pattern you’d like them to appear on the completed bead. You can create a variety of patterns depending on the look you’re going for. If you’re making a beaded bracelet, you may want a continuous pattern that runs all the way around the string. If you’re making a single strand bead, you’ll likely want a pattern with a break in the middle. After threading the beads onto the string, you’ll want to tie a knot at the bottom. The knot will prevent the beads from falling off the string.
While you’re gathering supplies, you may want to also look for these useful materials as well:
- A lanyard hook – You’ll need this to attach the string to your clothing.
- A ruler – You’ll use this to measure the length of the string.
- Scraps of fabric or felt – You’ll use this to cover the lanyard hook if you don’t want it to show.
Final step: Add the tassel
Now that the beads are finished, you can add a tassel to the end of the string. The tassel can be made from many different materials, such as yarn or ribbon. You’ll want the tassel to be fairly long, as it will be wrapped around the string and tied in the back. This will keep the beads in place and prevent them from sliding around. If you’re making a single strand bead, you can also add a tassel to the end of the string. For a continuous-pattern beaded bracelet, however, you’ll want to leave a small gap in the string so the beads don’t collide with the tassel.
More helpful tips
Here are a few more helpful tips you should keep in mind while making your beads:
- For the best results, use a thicker string or thread such as embroidery thread.
- When adding the beads, try to distribute them evenly. You don’t want them to be too bunched up or too spread out.
- You can make one long string with many beads, or you can make several short strings with just one or two beads.
- Marking the string is an important step since it makes it easier to place the beads where you want them.
- You can use a ruler to make sure the string is straight and evenly spaced. This will also help you mark where the beads go.
- You may want to use a longer string if you want the beads to rest in the middle of your waist. This will allow you to tie the string in a bow or knot.
Waist beads are a fun and colorful accessory to add to your outfit. While they can be expensive to buy, it’s actually fairly easy to make your own set! Just make sure to keep these tips in mind and you’ll have a gorgeous new set of beads to wear in no time. Whether you’re making a set of beads for yourself or as a gift, they’re the perfect item to try. With the right materials and the right techniques, you can craft a gorgeous set of beads in no time! Whether you’re making a set of beads for yourself or as a gift, they’re the perfect item to try. With the right materials and the right techniques, you can craft a gorgeous set of beads in no time!